The Mount Tabor Volunteer Fire Department, Parsippany - Troy Hills Fire District #1 has been serving the citizens of Parsippany since June 11, 1910. During that time we have seen many changes, from using hand pulled and operated hose carts to the latest fire apparatus with the highest level of technology possible.
Some of the services we provide are fire suppression, vehicle and train extrication, basic hazardous materials mitigation response, and Rapid Intervention Crews (RIC) for our neighboring departments.
To keep current on our skills we train 3 days per month with extra days as necessary. To gain our certifications we use the Morris County Public Safety Officers Training Academy, Bergen County Fire Academy, as well as private companies that specialize in firefighter training. Our members have earned a wide variety of certifications including:
The Mount Tabor Vol. Fire Dept. currently has 49 active firefighters protecting the citizens of Parsippany. Our mission is to protect Life and Property. The fire department is run by a Chief, 1 Assistant Chief, 3 Captains, and 3 Lieutenants. These officers and the members operate 5 apparatus from 3 fire stations. Our oldest station is located in the Mount Tabor section of Parsippany and has a history dating back to 1910. Our headquarters station is located in the Sedgefield section of town on Route 53, and our newest station is located in the Powdermill section of town just off of Route 10.
The fire department is governed by a 5 member Board of Fire Commissioners. This board is elected by the citizens of Fire District 1 at large for 3 year terms. This election occurs with the annual district budget vote which is open to all registered voters in the district. All personnel elected to the board are citizens of the fire district and membership in the department is not required to serve as a Commissioner.